Blogs > Frye on the News

Keeping his eye on the news and offering commentaries and insights on what is happening in Oakland County, around the world, on the tube and in the news.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Charie Sheen Dead? No, another hoax.


I wrote a story today about a Twitter trend about troubled actor Charlie Sheen, as people wondered if he had died in a snowboarding accident in the Swiss mountains.

I normally wouldn't have written such a piece but I couldn't ignore it, I felt, because many of the Twitter questions stemmed from a Detroit radio station's questioning of the information. They didn't report it as fact, but they talked about it and that led to other people talking about it. I felt something needed to be said to clear it up and I quoted some of the better Tweets about the issue.

Normally, I wouldn't write about a false rumor because then you're promoting the rumor, and these Internet death hoaxes aren't any fun at all. They make it so can't report that someone died, not as a news agency but simply as a person wanting to pass along a RIP to someone.

But something I've noticed, if I see something not in the news trending, I wonder if they are dead. That happened with Terry Crews, the actor and former football player. He was trending and I hadn't heard of anything he's doing just today.

tweeted:
I love Terry Crews and I got askeered when I saw he was trending cuz I thought he was boo-boo dead. :-\

Exactly, katerz1, exactly.

I also think they die if I heard a block of songs on the radio (except for Tuesday on the WRIF). Then it'll turn out to be a block party weekend and I say, ahhh, Keith still lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home