Blogs > Frye on the News

Keeping his eye on the news and offering commentaries and insights on what is happening in Oakland County, around the world, on the tube and in the news.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Boo hiss NFL

Well, the NFL has gone and jumped the shark.
It's admitting that its game is too violent and it is making a move to reduce injuries... and take away from the excitement and fun.
The kickoffs go back to the 35, as they always were when I was growing, and from where they were moved in 1994 when the NFL (smart) wanted to increase the excitement of the game. Moving to the 30 yard line meant more returns, which means more fumbles (good), touchdowns or long returns (good), penalties (bad) and injuries (very bad).
The owners, currently embroiled in a lockout with players as they push for more money for ownership, less for players, as well as a longer season, went and made this move with very little debate and very little public discussion.
But I'm not buying it. If it's to say to the players, see we love you and care about your brains, well, it's opening the door to saying, we need to eliminate all injuries.
HELLO, FLAG FOOTBALL.
SO LONG, HELMETS and tackles and sacks and running backs plowing straight ahead for the first down.
So this is the beginning of the end of football as we know it.
I'm glad I'm getting into the ENGLISH PREMIERE LEAGUE soccer, or emmm, football. It's exciting, even if it's the 1-nil variety. Those guys konk their heads, and they don't wear helmets. And games change on a dime and goalies sure can blow it. I LOVE IT.
But I still would like NFL, my favorite sport.
I've always hated the league, going back to how they treat their television customers, which really is most of their customer base as so much money comes from TV. BUT oh, my, don't let the suck-ass Lions be shown OR ANY OTHER GAME.....(I get so bitter, even now during the off-season, I'd just love to the oversized govt come and hold hearing and get its big toe into the league... JUST END IT.).
But really, I'd like the game I used to love to be on TV this fall, I suppose.
I support the 18-game season. Do away with the playoff bye for the two best teams. Then the league would rock on into another glorious decade before common sense dictated that it end.
However, I also support the players and their quest for guaranteed money and a bigger part of the financial pie.
They need better pensions for older retired players and they need to guarantee money for players.
Then let them beat their f-in brains out, please.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Press N Wear said...

Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that.
Press N Wear

January 23, 2020 at 9:18 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home