Blogs > Frye on the News

Keeping his eye on the news and offering commentaries and insights on what is happening in Oakland County, around the world, on the tube and in the news.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Power outage outrage

Sometimes you just talk to hear yourself, just as sometimes news folks find a story to share just to have something to write/talk/blog about.

See what I mean, even I will discuss the power outage at the Super Bowl.

Except, I don't see what the big deal is. It's not very interesting. It was timely for sure, turning a blow out game - a 28-6 Ravens lead over the struggling 49ers - into a good game by shifting momentum. The Ravens held on, barely, winning 34-31.

The power outage even affected me, as my momentum was drained and I went to bed to watch the remainder of the game. Problem was, I kept falling asleep as we went into one of the great fourth-quarters of Super Bowl history. That 34-minute delay helped make sure I slept through that final drive, a strong defensive stop by the Ravens. I realized that the Ravens were winning, dozed, and then turned it off when over. The highlights the next morning confirmed that I had missed something good.

Now, the outcry over the Janet Jackson boob was overwhelming and that grew tiresome because of the outrage, much of it feigned. However, there's no outrage over the power outage, just questions demanding immediate answers.

But it's not a front page story. It's a part of the game's story, yes, like a weather delay or snow affecting the passing and footing. But all these stories about what happened are just noise. I accept that that an abnormality caused a system to shut down. I didn't then need to know the exact details and I still don't. If it was done on purpose, then that story will interesting, when it comes. I doubt that will happen, though.

But we need something to discuss and the commercials alone don't cut it.

I, though, choose to think of and read about something else... baseball.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home